In 1976, a number of local individuals became interested in the Montpelier Mansion as a facility that could be used for a variety of activities—specifically by artists. They formed a formal volunteer group and founded the Friends of Montpelier (FOM) to help preserve and restore the mansion. Through the passion and hard work of the Friends and the M-NCPPC, the Mansion's restoration began in 1983, following approval of funds in 1980. Select rooms have been researched and furnished as they would have appeared from the end of the 18th century until 1830. Today Montpelier reflects the 48-year occupation of two generations of Snowdens—the builder Major Thomas Snowden, and his heir Nicholas Snowden, and their families. Montpelier was re-opened to the public in April 1985.
In conjunction with staff and management, the FOM assists with the docent program in giving tours; has established a continuing series of history lectures pertaining to the house, family, and their place in local history; assists with implementation of furnishing and garden plans; maintains a membership base to support programs; and hosts events to attract visitors.
For an expanded history, read the speech co-founder Helen Hass gave at the Friends of Montpelier 30th Anniversary Celebration in 2006 here.
Friends of Montpelier Board
Helen Hass - President/Luncheons
Stuart Kohn - Vice President/Fireback Editor
Babs Bailey - Corresponding Secretary
Gloria Hynes - Board Member
Jeri Witt - Membership
Debbie Phillips - Board Member/Programming
Irene Sylvester - Board Member
Nancy Thiessen - Board Member
Stuart Kohn - Board Member/Fireback Editor
Ros Ignatowski - Docent Coordinator
Pat Witkowski - Recording Secretary
Mary Larson - Board Member Emeritus
We're on Facebook!
FOM HAS BEEN ACTIVE FOR